Friday, 16 September 2011

Introduction

For the second year of my Media Studies A-level I am required to create three connecting products which will resemble genuine products used in the film industry today. These products are as follows:
  • Film Trailer
  • Magazine Cover
  • Promotional Film Poster
In order to complete these products to a high and realistic standard, I will be required to produce several detailed analyses on film trailers, magazine covers and promotional film posters which have been successful in the past and those which are still in use today. By doing this, I will attain knowledge on the specific codes and conventions used for each genre, focusing greatly on the genre I will be using for my final product. This will ensure that a high and realistic standard is reached, in addition to appealing to my demographic.

To create these products I will be using specific computer technologies such as Apple Final Cut Pro and Adobe Photoshop. The former being an editing program which will be used to construct my film trailer, the latter for photo manipulation and crafting the promotional film poster and film magazine cover. Although Final Cut Pro was used in the first year of my A-level, I feel that my skills need development in order to generate a high quality product. However, little development is required in the case of Adobe Photoshop as I have taken time before my Media Studies A-level course to learn several different techniques and effects for entertainment purposes as I had found it enjoyable to learn new things and being able to perceive the final results and development of my skills over a period of time.
 
To capture images for my poster and magazine cover I will be using a high quality camera to imitate the genuine products. Additionally, I will be using a similar camera to that used last year to capture high quality footage. Both the images and the footage require this equipment to give my final products a professional look in addition to increasing the demographic interest. Due to my little use of the camera in the previous year, I will need to develop my camera skills quite extensively.

I will also have to complete all pre-production requirements as they are highly important when producing a film, these stages are:
  • Production Plan: This displays weekly updates on how the production is progressing
  • Proposal: A brief outline of the intention for the product
  • Treatment: A detailed explanation of the product to help sell it to a distribution company
  • Storyboards: Still images to capture the shots which will be used in the product
  • Shot list: Lists of shots to be used in the product
  • Scripts: Written to direct the cast and crew on what they should be doing and how they should be doing it
  • Script Breakdowns: To break up the scenes, usually the script will be marked up
  • Production Schedule: Dates, times, locations, resources, crew, props, scenes and notes.
  • Shooting Schedule: Calendar grid to inform the cast and crew where and when they will be needed
  • Call Sheets: Who is attending, location, date and time
  • Location Reports: To display the suitability of the locations used in shooting and any potential problems which may be shown.
  • Risk Assessments: Captures any potential risks which may be faced during shooting, these must be reduced or minimized
In addition to this, I will produce a skills log which will mark any development of my technical skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment